A Good End in Badside - Part XXV

From: Oliver D. Bernuetz <bernuetz.oliver_at_...>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 19:24:48 -0000

Well this whole mess was a fine kettle of fis...no scratch that. I don't think I'll be using that expression again either. This whole mess is just that, a big mess. I headed straight back to Juli's for another bath courtesy of Hallarax. Unsurprisingly enough I wasn't far from her place.

After another good long soak and some laundering I felt much better. I decided to hell with this business for today. Home for a quick nosh, a couple of drinks and then to bed. I made all haste to head back across Pavis, yet again, and amazingly found myself at Gimpy's without seeing any crazies, being kidnapped, or stumbling across any more murders. I was considerably more careful this time entering the passageway to Gimpy's but once again I was unaccosted. There wasn't any entertainment this night so there was just the usual crowd hanging out. I sat down at my favorite table and asked the server for something to eat better than that damn stew they get out of their magic kettle. And a bottle of Lunar wine. She raised her eyebrows at this especially when I told her to put it on my tab but they know I'm good for it around here so she went off to place the order. Now all I had to do was think of some way to put it on my expense account. Maybe I could claim I had used it to fend off kidnappers or something. What a waste that would be.

I fully enjoyed my meal and was part way through enjoying my bottle of wine when my pleasure was terminated by the appearance of Lord Belvani, lizard in tow in the doorway. I ignored the pair of them as they made their way across the room. Belvani looked very chipper as he plopped himself down uninvited on the other chair at the table. His lizard just squatted there on the floor beside him. I sat there enjoying my wine ignoring him. He waited a bit for me to greet him andwhen this wasn't forthcoming made a move for my bottle of wine! I very deliberately moved the bottle out of his reach. Instead he called a server over and ordered one too!

He waited for his wine and patiently bore my ignoring him. After his bottle had come and he had served himself a glass and had a taste he beamed at me and asked, "Made any progress today?" I looked over at him finally and replied, "Not really. Have you?" "No, afraid not." He took another drink, "I did check with Haloric though and we have an appointment to see Karial the Pure tomorrow morning after the greeting ceremony." "Well that's something I suppose." I replied. He took another drink and then said, "You know, you're not much of a drinking partner." I looked over at him and said straight faced, "I've had a rough day."

To be continued.

Oliver