Re: Magic when God is Dead

From: simon_hibbs2 <simon.hibbs_at_...>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 15:35:35 -0000

True, but remember that the god and the power are the same thing. Orlanthi can't use storm magic when Orlanth Is Dead because there is no storm, or even any wind. You can't use something that isn't there. For a Devotee Orlanth is nolonger realy a seperate thing from themselves - he is their breath, their stormyness. Part of themselves has died too.

> If we assume that our Destor devotee has learnt some other power of
Destor
> through a heroquest, say "Spot Squirrel". Is this heroquested
ability also
> a capacity to call upon Destor's power of squirrel-spotting, or is
it the
> quester's own power? Or, in more concrete terms, can he quest
during the
> darkness and use his powers of squirrel-spotting, even though
Destor is
> dead?

Cannonicaly I don't know, but I would think that abilities gained from other entites would still be available - Kyger Litor is still around, so you could still use your Sandals of Darkness ability.

> An Orlanth disciple has, to a large extent, become Orlanth. Can he
quest
> during the darkness and use Orlanth's powers, considering that he
to some
> extent *is* Orlanth, then and there? Or does his disciplehood
preclude him
> from questing during the Darkness, since he is Orlanth, and Orlanth
is
> busy in the underworld at the time?

Well since Orlanth was in the underworld, clearly there can't be any myths of orlanth in the surface world at that time for a follower to quest on, so I'm not sure what you're talkign about. If he's following someone else's myth - as he would have to be doing - then he'd be questing as them, wouldn't he?

Simon Hibbs