Re: Orlanth and the Moon

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_at_...>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 16:31:03 -0000

Gian writes:

> Is there a myth of a conflict pre-Red Goddess between Orlanth
> (or any other Storm God) and "a" Moon?

I would say "no". Part of the terrible threat the Lunars pose to the Heortlings is that they are something "new" and different, and the old, tried-and-tested Heortling ways for dealing with their enemies and rivals just don't work the way they should. Making Shepelkirt into "just another hostile Moon Goddess" takes this element away, and I don't see what you gain (that's particularly worth getting).

Here's one more reference, anyway:

Annilla/Mahaqata, the (Blue?) Moon Goddess, conspired with Oralanatus the Last Rebel to murder Murharzarm (or possibly Yelm?). In the form of a bat, she blinded the Emperor (or else she threw her shroud over his eyes), so the Rebel could strike him down unseen. (Digest stuff!)

Cheers, Nick