Re: Kolat and Umath

From: bwbfc_at_...
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 22:41:15 EDT

Joerg Baumgartner
<< Me:
>> That said, I don't see any normal Storm God bother to procreate
>> without taking company.

>> Rather than about Urox's mixed nature, we ought to be puzzled
>> about Kolat's pure spirit nature... >>

 Jerome:
 > Doesn't it make it difficult to consider Umath as a "normal"  > storm god to begin with?

 Umath set the pattern which the normal storm gods followed, he is the  norm. Orlanth is a certain form of deviation from this norm... >>

And Kolat another... :-) Say, after Umath was killed, his winds dispersed into
the 'spirit world' (as a kolating PoV, but they wouldn't use such words when telling the Umath myth to other Heortlings, who are told the spirit world was reached through the Whistling Cave or somesuch). Kolat's conquest of the spirit world justifying his spirit nature?

I was tempted to have him spawned by Umath without any company, because of the mythical context of Kolat's shaman status and a bit in ST p. 199, §3, where Umath's anger bursts through the roof.

Jerome