Re: Infanticide?

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2002 13:43:39 -0000

Gianfranco Geroldi wrote:
> I do not understand this point of view.

I would agree with Graham's comments, especially about doing whatever works for your group, but also say to my mind it is mostly genre inappropriate. Such events do happen in myth and fantasy, but they tend to happen offstage, be momentous for the storyline, and involve the heroes more in the consequences than the event. If you want to tell stories about a character who was abandoned in the rushes, but will bring about the fall of the kingdom okay. But asking questions about whether or not Gloranthan cultures practice infanticide of disabled or wrong gendred children at birth is probably something best considered within a group, if they wish to, and not in public. Too many real world issues, too many people who do not want to have to deal with it, IMO.