A Good End in Badside - Part XXVII

From: Oliver D. Bernuetz <bernuetz.oliver_at_...>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 18:25:07 -0000

I tried and failed to suppress a shudder. Well that explained people's reaction to him. No doubt they are afraid to come too near him in case he tells them that they're going to get crabs soon, lose their true love or die in some horrific manner. Very wise. I stiffened my resolve and smiled what must have been a rather limp smile at him. I tried to reply nonchalantly to his devastating statement but failed miserably as a wretched croak slipped out. I cursed myself profanely in my head and finally managed to make a reply in a voice that didn't sound too wobbly to my ears, "And the gods have sent you to me," a long pause, "with a message?"

He didn't look at me and took a long drink before replying, "The gods ride me like fleas ride a dog, ever biting me and driving me unceasingly to go places and say things that they have a need to be said." He poured some more wine and took another long drink, nearly draining the glass in the process. "Even at night my dreams are full of them. They jostle and struggle to get to my ear and give me their messages. Every one of them feels that their message is more dire or important than that of the others. I wander where they direct me and they do strive most mightily to gain hold of my leads. They are like a pack of unruly dogs and I like a bitch in heat. But now I am here in Pavis and I have uttered my prophecy of the passing of the Red Moon." I looked nervously around but everyone was most studiously ignoring us.

He stood up after refilling and emptying his glass again and looked down at me. I quailed under his uncanny gaze. He opened his mouth and a different voice than the one he'd been using came out. "The God is displeased by those playing games in His Court. Beware the Spear of Truth for it pierces straight to the heart of the matter." After making this cryptic pronouncement, which you can be sure had gotten the whole room's attention, he stumbled a little before straightening himself.

I was stunned. I stood up and almost yelled at him. "That's it? The gods drive you like a beast and scare the crap out of me for that?" He looked at me again and shook his head. "The gods need not speak clearly nor must they speak with great wisdom or intent. But speak their words I must." I sat back down when I realized that everyone was looking nervously at us. I almost whispered to him, "They drive you mad and destroy your life and you get no benefit from them? Not much of a bargain if you ask me." He smiled sadly down at me, "I said naught of power and benefit did I?"

He spread his arms wide and tilted his head back closing his eyes. I felt a growing presence and so did everyone else in the room. I can't describe what happened other than to say it was like all the light and warmth in the room seemed to flow into his fingertips. The screaming had started even before the room went pitch black. After a minute filled with shouts and the sound of people falling over things and knocking other things down one of the Gimpys managed to light a lamp behind the bar. Quickly enough all the fires, torches and lamps were relit, none the worse for wear. And of course the prophet was nowhere to be seen. I guess you don't need light to see when the right god or gods are steering you.

To be continued.

Oliver