Re: Re: Get that book...

From: e-g_at_...
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 17:14:55 GMT

Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_...> writes:

> While Orlanth is dead, can Issaries or
>Lhankor Mhy followers leave their gods' abodes into the Storm Village?

Would this depend on how, exactly, the Lunars killed Orlanth? (Which I don't think OiD ever really explains).

Did they find a way to bring back the situation in the Great Darkness when Orlanth and Ernalda were both dead, and somehow make this part of the myth the only "true" one? In which case, I'd expect that heroquestors would find Karulinoran deserted and abandoned, just as it was in the "real" Great Darkness.

On the other hand, did they find a myth of their own where some miscellaneous Storm God and Earth Goddess were chained or killed, and then successfully identify Orlanth and Ernalda with those doomed deities, so they shared their fate? In that case, I'd think that the questors would find themselves in a weird place which looked sort of like Storm Stead, and sort of like the homes of those Lunar gods just after their deaths in the Lunar myth. Depending on the relative strength of their belief and that of the Empire's priests, this place might even change, flicker, look different out of the corner of the eye, become more familiar or more alien on each visit.

Personally I think the second version is more MGF; but then this being Glorantha, probably both versions are true and a few more besides!

Certainly I would think that King Broyan would only accept the first explanation. As a disciple of Orlanth, there's no room in his world-view for *substituting* other deities for Orlanth, so the explanation must be very simple: Orlanth is dead; Orlanth died during the Great Darkness; therefore this must be the Great Darkness. Prepare for the fight...

The rest of the storyline of OiD is therefore an experimental heroquest by the Heortlings to impose _their_ version of reality - "This is the Great Darkness, and our myths tell us how we should behave" - against the _Lunar_ version of reality which the Heortlings are unfamiliar with and so cannot fight...

Sound reasonable?

Stephen