Re: Chiefs, Weaponthanes and Warriors

From: bethexton <bethexton_at_...>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 16:49:14 -0000

A couple of things here:

  1. I think the four storms are more of a model than a fixed structure. In other words, if you have four or more thanes that tend to accompany you, you will call four of them your four storms. Even if you don't have that many, you will probably describe them by the names of the storms. In fact, a chief's "four storms" when it comes to war may well be the clan champion as his sword, the head of the fyrd as his shield, the huntthane or other leader of the skirmishers as his shield, and the senior healer as his back-boy. Of them only the shield is likely to belong under the weaponthane keyword (the champion having that key word, the others following other proffesions).
  2. The regular warriors are probably not supported by the chief. Rather, they would be martial young men from good families who can afford the weapons, armor, and training of a warrior. In good time some may become weapon thanes, others may become god talkers, others will become heads of hearths, and others will become raven food. I think that the warrior key word is often a temporary one, lasting a few to several years. These young men would vie for places as the weaponthanes storms, since that is how they get recognition. In some cases the warrior may have potentially greater access to wealth than the weaponthane that he follows, and may use his family's generosity to help cement his place (of course, then the chief may get jealous, feeling that the family is trying to subvert the loyalty of the weaponthane....).

Again, each weaponthane may have more or less than four warriors under his wings, but will tend to use the four storms appelation for them. I think that this model, for all of its mythic significance, doesn't always mesh well with current Heortling tactics however, so I don't expect that the warriors are actually used in those four roles in combat too often.

Regards;

Bryan