Re: Chiefs, Weaponthanes and Warriors

From: Jon <jonsmithers_at_...>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 22:20:32 -0000

I see what your saying - but having checked TR again I see the keywords for Chief and Weaponthanes and Champions all have four warrior followers. It also seems, if I remember right, in OiD that the four storms appplies to the whole formation of the army. I agree it might be adapted to circumstance - I feel a chieftain would have different "Storms" for different occasions - war, negotiation, trade, etc.

> 2) The regular warriors are probably not supported by the chief.
> Rather, they would be martial young men from good families who can
> afford the weapons, armor, and training of a warrior. In good time
> some may become weapon thanes, others may become god talkers, others
> will become heads of hearths, and others will become raven food. I
> think that the warrior key word is often a temporary one, lasting a
> few to several years.

I agree with this - I think if the weaponthane selects his followers then he'd choose them from his stead or bloodline wherever possible - after all who would he trust more.

Thanks

Jon