A Good End in Badside - Part XXVIII

From: Oliver D. Bernuetz <bernuetz.oliver_at_...>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 18:42:14 -0000

People at Gimpy's started treating me like a leper after that so I decided that I needed nothing so much as a good night's sleep. Morey the Short just managed to stop himself from making a sign to avert evil as I walked past. This did nothing for my mood so I stomped my way up the stairs to my bedroom extra nosily and slammed the door good and hard for extra measure.

After a rotten night's sleep, that stupid prophesy had kept running through my mind all night long, I was rudely shaken out of what poor sleep I'd managed to drop into by a knock on the door. I told Belvani, who else would it be, and his lizard to go do something to themselves. He chuckled, "Tut tut Placidus, my god doesn't allow that sort of behavior. Besides which I'm sure I'd rupture something if I tried. I thought I'd come and get you early so you could get cleaned up and have a decent breakfast before our interview with Karial." I swore some more. "All right I'll be right out. Why don't you wait downstairs for me." "Certainly", he replied and I heard footsteps retreating down the corridor.

I managed to drag myself together and make myself somewhat respectable. I made my way downstairs where I found Belvani sitting at a table enjoying a tradition Sun County breakfast of some stale barley cakes, some dried fruit and what joy, some dried fish. I sat down asked for wine and helped myself to some fruit and one of the cakes. I declined the fish with a shudder. After I had gnawed at my cake in silence for a bit, I gave up in disgust and dunked it in my cup of wine to soften it up. Belvani, who had been happily consuming everything in sight, had remained silent other than to comment that it was breakfast just like mother used to make.

Finally he spoke up, "So I hear that the gods have granted you a prophesy? What was it, "Beware lest the spear of truth pierce your heart?" or something like that?" "Oh wonderful. I supposed it was too much to hope that it would have stayed put." I shook my head. "Yes, something like that. It'd be nice were something to be stuck in my front for a change. I'm getting tired of being stabbed in the back and taking it up the.." Belvani interrupted helpfully to point out that, "You can certainly be stabbed in the heart from behind." I cast an extremely sour look at him that shut him up. We sat in silence again after that as I forced down my wine soaked barley biscuit and some more dried fruit. Oh well at least I'd probably be regular.

After we'd both finished, Belvani paid for breakfast, we made our way over to the Sun Dome Temple without incident. Unless you want to count all the people making signs against evil at me or crossing the street to avoid me stepping on their shadows as incidents. Stupid prophets. Anyway we finally made it to the Temple just as the morning rites to greet great Yelm were finishing up. Belvani spoke to one of the templars on duty and we were ushered in to cool our heels for a while outside Karial the Pure's inner sanctum.

To be continued.

Oliver
http://www.geocities.com/bernuetz/stories/goodend.html