An Example of Tax Collecting Contractors

From: IWASAKI Moto <efendi_at_...>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 18:11:30 +0900

Thak you for your replying, TI.

> "Barbarian Adventure" holds another opinion, I think many speculators and
> racketeers of the Empire streamed into Sartar as in Real World roman
> provinces.

I see. And many people may think that tax collecting contractors will oppress Sartar's people for recovering their price of the right of tax collecting.

In the Ottoman Empire, price of the right of tax collecting was deciced under the tax record of the days when Empire itself collected tax. So, the constinuos tax collecting contractors grew productivity of the lands where he "bought". And, they have change substantial lords of that lands, Ayan.
On the other hand, no one bought poor lands, Eastern Anatolia etc. In their lands, people never settle down in one place, so tax collection was not easy. So, the Empire had collected that poor lands for "justice", not for "profit".

> IMO Sartar was conquered by
> religious reason rather than financial reason. Orlanth is Great Rebel of
> Cosmic Order, so must be conquered.

I agree partially.
However, did the Crusades fight for only their fifth? The Lunar Empire will be not a monolith.

> I think most Heartlanders are indifferent to Sartar except religious
> leaders, most of typical oppressors in Sartar are Tarshites who have
> cultural similarity to them and have interest to the Provincial Overseer and
> nearest region's trade and grudge IMHO.

I agree.
And I want to add Sartarite racketeers to oppressors.

Thanks,

   Memini tui. Simul aliquid audivero, tibi scribam.

Efendi      E-mail : efendi_at_...
            My Site: http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~ty2m-iwsk/rq/