Re: fyrd

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_...>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 03:06:05 +1100

Good question, and possibly one to let through to the keeper, in this case, Greg.

Verging on OT, the only meaningful (?!) connection I know of for the word 'tula' is that in the Vedas, it has the meaning of 'centre', more to do with authority and power than place. An axis mundi if you will. It is occasionally used there to refer to the centre of the galaxy - hence 'Tula' is also the Hindu name for the constellation Libra. Hence the Orlanthi tula is the spiritual centre of the clan, its source of power, the home of its wyter and the locus of its ancestors.

A google search didn't help much, as the name applies to various cities (Mayan, Egyptian) and pops up in mystical/hermeneutical/grail writings meaning all sorts of things. It sounds vaguely Celtic as well, but if so then the original spelling will be *very* different.

As to pronouncing it, I tend to use a very soft 't' and a short final syllable - almost 'chew-la'. But then, I'm Oztralian, and so must be forgiven for such things....

Rabbiting On, and for some reason humming 'Come On Eileen'.

John

nysalor_at_...                              John Hughes
Questlines: http://home.iprimus.com.au/pipnjim/questlines/

Karim rose on the day with songs. He shouldered his

   shield to the wind.
He heft high his spear, his glittering spear, And he rushed, in his joy, to the foe, through the foam, And his challenge it echoed a third time around, That the foe they shall pass no more!