Heroquesting the First Battle of Chaos

From: Andrew Solovay <asolovay_at_...>
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 23:54:16 -0800

Nick Brooke <mailto:Nick_at_...> wrote:

> As the Crimson Bat has come up recently, I'll dust off some notes I
> wrote earlier this year for the superbly creative and talented
> Gloranthan artist Sarah Evans re: the First Battle of Chaos... it
> seemed marginally relevant, anyway, and I like to share. Apologies if
> anyone is annoyed by "off-topic" comparisons below.
>
> [...]

Fascinating...

Random thought: I assume the First Battle of Chaos figures very prominently in lunar heroquesting, yes? Either because your quest follows the Goddess's God-quest--in which case your last step is to return on the Bat--or because (for followers of the Mothers) your quest is to find and bring back the Goddess, which, again, ends with Her on the Bat.

Either way, I'd expect there's a high chance of going crazy? That is, any high-powered heroquest has possible outcomes like "die", "lose powers", "make enemies". But for a Lunar on this quest, top of the bad-outcome list would be "go bugfuck".

So the Lunar religion probably generates a reasonable flow of high-powered crazies. Most cults probably have ways of dealing with these folks--harnessing them or killing them or just getting them out of town. But it might not be easily done. After all, the last stage of the GodQuest is "Return unexpectedly with more power than anyone can cope with". It stands to reason that it would not be easy to bushwack someone returning from that quest, even if the person is now crazy. On top of that, these crazies might just be holy/taboo--if the Goddess has touched them, is it pious to stand in their way?

...or am I on completely the wrong track here? (BTW, I assume Lunar heroquesting somehow enters into *historical* events, since most of its mythos takes place in History, not in Godtime. Am I wrong about this?)

Couple of further thoughts:

  1. The First Battle of Chaos would be a natural quest for anyone seeking to learn the Secret of his (lunar) cult. The FBoC was when everyone (including the Goddess) found out what the Lunar Way was all about.
  2. Let's assume that the ideal solution, when a quester goes crazy, is to get him out of town. Possible NPC/monster idea, for lands outside the Empire? A high-powered magical Lunar nut, wandering around giving the Empire that reputation we know so well? Just a thought...