Re: How do we do this now?

From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_...>
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2002 17:21:15 +0100

Norbert :

> He said to me that one of the most natural things
> that he's like to do as a Heortling Orlanthi player-character
> would be to fight against the Lunars as much as possible,

Hhm, not all Heortling Orlanthi player-character types are so radically anti-Lunar as that, but his HOPC-type MV ... ;-)

> but he claimed that the "official word" of the Hero Wars
> books prevented him from doing that realistically. He said,
> verbatim, "I'd like to fight Lunars, but if I do anything *major*
> against the Lunar military or something, the Lunars will come and burn
> down my stead and kill my family.

Mm, RMM publications notwithstanding, the Lunar Empire circa 1620 ST is unlike Oceania circa 1984. Frankly, hs character is most likely (& from the Lunar POV), to be seen as just one more smelly barbarian. If he has specific *enemies* as per suggestions in BA & OiD, that's another thing of course ; but that's the PC-type exception, not the norm.

> So, how do I do this in the time of
> the oppression? The other alternative is becoming an outlaw right
> away,

Erm ... no, actually, that's the *only* alternative. ie, it _isn't_ an alternative. It's a necessity.

> but I feel that my character is screwed if he spends the entire
> game as an outlaw. No friends, no community ..."

?? But his friends and community are almost as outlawed as he is !!

> So, basically this player said he felt that while the game
> constantly alluded to and explained the Heortling-vs.-Lunar
> conflict, it automatically discouraged new player characters
> to participate in that conflict at the same time.

I must disagree : the game explains, encourages, and motivates the conflict. Maybe your player is a closet Lunar-sympathiser ?

All real conflicts involve a pro et con ; and the Heortling vs. Lunar Empire one isn't presented as a no-brainer. This is a strength.

> How could I make sure that it _is_ possible and explicable
> that Heortling player-characters engage in actions against
> the Lunars without having an outright terrorist reputation?

Give the PC Heroes a "Reputed to be an outright Terrorist" flaw, buyable-down with HPs and/or increasable by GM fiat and/or according to various in-game actions ?

> So, are 85% of the men in Sartar routinely participate in
> rites and ceremonies that are against the law?

Yep.

> So how do you manage to achieve that balance between
> "This is your cult, this is your tradition and it always
> has been. You get your Affinities and Feats from that
> cult, and you must pump your earned Hero Points
> into those Affinities to get better." and "Actually, you
> are aware that all of this is really against the law."

YGMV
> Talking about the illegalness of the Orlanth cults:
>
> How much are the Heortlings subject to "weapons inspections"?

Not very much : this is a pseudo-Bronze Age culture.

> And how much are the fyrdmen controlled by the authorities,
> if every decent Heortling village is assumed to have a fyrd?

Fyrds are considered to belong to clan prerogatives : in fact, they ensure the proper functioning of democracy, that only evil bastard NPCS would call into question.

> I would say that a fyrdman with a stick and a wooden shield
> will get by without much difficulty 90% of the time, as long as
> he's not caught participating in all-out revolts or
> assassinations. But what about weaponthanes? Humakti?

Again, this isn't 1984 or 2002, but 1620.

> Are wandering herobands of Uroxi less suspicious

The only non-suspicious Uroxi berserker is a dead Uroxi berserker :-)

Julian Lord