Re: How do we do this now?

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2002 14:46:06 -0800

Norbert

> He said to me that one of the most natural things
> that he's like to do as a Heortling Orlanthi player-character
> would be to fight against the Lunars as much as possible,
> but he claimed that the "official word" of the Hero Wars
> books prevented him from doing that realistically. He said,
> verbatim, "I'd like to fight Lunars, but if I do anything *major*
> against the Lunar military or something, the Lunars will
> come and burn down my stead and kill my family.
> So, how do I do this in the time of the oppression?

That's not really a change. Sartar *did* get conquered. The conquerors aren't stupid, and they will do what they can to keep Sartar conquered. You're not supposed to be able to do this, and you have an entire Empire trying to stop you.

Who ever said life was fair?

(The only change might be that there's now a published rules system that shows how you're connected to your family -- RuneQuest players often didn't bother with this. But if you used PenDragon Pass rules to play 1605 Sartar, you'd have the same "problem.")

> So, basically this player said he felt that while the game
> constantly alluded to and explained the Heortling-vs.-Lunar
> conflict, it automatically discouraged new player characters
> to participate in that conflict at the same time.
> How could I make sure that it _is_ possible and explicable
> that Heortling player-characters engage in actions against
> the Lunars without having an outright terrorist reputation?

Set your game in a time period when it makes sense. Not every time period is as appropriate for adventurers, or for certain types of adventuring.

Or use in another location (like Pavis or the Risklands).

> So, are 85% of the men in Sartar routinely participate in
> rites and ceremonies that are against the law?

Sounds like a great way to fight against the Lunars, without a huge risk. IMO this edict is very difficult for the Lunars to enforce, though perhaps native informers make it a bit easier. How can you, as a foreigner, tell what that group of barbarians are doing? If you show up, a gentle rain starts and they say they are worshipping Heler to make the crops grow. (If you hadn't shown up, the Helamakt the Fighting Storm worship would have gone an entirely different way.)

--

David Dunham
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html>