Re: Diciple and a magic contest

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 19:19:44 -0800

> It's just the question of Humakt and Orlanth here that worries me. The
> brothers were separated over death and storm. Would the humakti end up
> waekening his connection with Death by regaining Storm?
>
> There's also the question of how do the other orlanthi view a humakt
> deciple that can also command the winds...

I think that's a matter of Campaign preference. Taking Life or UnDeath magic would really anger the Big H, but wind powers are in that grey area that individual narrators must deal with. Personally, I don't have a problem with a Windy Humakti.

Yes, Humakt gave up his storm powers in disgust and quit the Storm tribe, but is he sorry now that he did so? Can the regained storm powers be used to further death (and so be considered Weapon magic rather than Air magic)? Humakt is not the god of Not-Being-A-Storm-Anymore, and has proven that he'll take any weapon to hand to get the job done (Kargan the Warrior).

And if it really bugs someone, a HeroQuest challenge can prove that it's okay for this Humakti to have Wind Powers in the first place. Heck, a HQ challenge can prove just about anything about anything. Of course, if you are trying to say "Humakt Never Really Left the Storm Tribe" as your Challenge, you might just find yourself up against Humakt himself (Death 10w7, augmented with Really Peeved at Mortals Trying to Change His Nature 10w5...)

RR