Re: Digest Number 136

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 12:33:34 +1200

Kevin P. McDonald

> > >The Artisan (Lord of Creation - painting, pottery, and sculpture, >creator
> > >of plants and animals),

> > Painter or Shaper would be better.

>Yea, I originally called that aspect Turos the Shaper but decided that it
>sounded too similar to Turos the Shaker. Shaper is more accurate, though.
>I think I recall him actually being referred to that way somewhere in
>Entekosaid.

> > > Leadership (Command Silence, Inspire Loyalty, Preside)

> > KetTuros is not a leader. At best, he enforces the speaking rules of
> > the Pelandan Assembly and announces its decisions.

>Agreed. I intended KetTuros to be a subcult of Turos the Father. I based
>Turos the Father on his role as leader of the gods after rescuing them
>from the Darkness, or as the High God.

But Turos isn't a leader of the High Gods and almost immediately after receiving the staff in the Darkness, he passes it onto to Idojartos. So he's even less of a ruler than an Orlanthi King.

> > The Carmanians do not worship Turos. Only their peasants do.

>Ouch. I am having difficulty coming up with enough cult options for my
>Carmanos player(s). I seem to be restricted to Aronious Jaranthir (?),
>Carmanos and family Hero Cults.

Merchant Gods: either a Pelandan Merchant God (make up a name), Etyries or perhaps Lokarnos. Remember that Carmanian merchants are more akin to the leaders of noble houses or mercantile cartels rather than free traders.

Deified Satraps: the first rulers of Jhor, Spol, Worian and Bindle. These might be the Carmanians who came with Syranthir Forefront or some Good Rulers before that time (when the Carmanians ruled over Pelanda, Gartemirus and Daxdarius would have been suitable gods). Bad Rulers (such as the Spolite Shadow Emperors, the Bull Shahs etc) might be appropriate but the puritanical Magi has issued several fatwahs against their worship.

Gods of Diplomacy: Vanu. The lunar equivalent would be Etyries (q.v.)

>Thus, I figured that Turos would be fair game for Carmanians to worship.

He might have been. But however he is ultimately a god of peasants and farmers, placing him firmly within the Farmer Gods.

>Plus, the "manly" aspect of Turos (having many lovers) seemed to fit
>the Carmanoi.

Only the barbarous Bull Shahs went for that sort of excess and the Carmanians have western mores which do not look lightly upon that behaviour. At the most, I would consider a Carmanian to be limited to four wives at the most (after Carshandar) and having more than one is very unusual (as it is for most Muslims).

>Why would the Carmanians choose to worship local gods
>like Bisos and not Turos?

They don't worship him also AFAIK. The glorantha: intro states that his worship is encouraged by the Upper Class of Pelandans in Carmania, p114. The description of the types of people that worship Bisos in the Entekosiad p77 does not mention Carmanians but does mention those that qualify for Full Justice (ie the right to be tried by their peers according to local laws and not the Shah's absolute justice).

> > >Disadvantages: [...] Turos is now an old God, and sometimes has
> > > trouble raising his spear.

> > I don't see any evidence for this.

>There are several myths for Turos or his previous forms that have him
>as an old man that needed to be rekindled. One involved him being sung
>to, others involved a goddess rubbing his fire stick or some such. I
>think this is because the volcano that he was associated with had gone
>dormant.

However most other gods that you can name have been in similar positions (Storm Bull, Yelm, Orlanth, Ernalda etc). Thus I don't think a -3 modifier is warranted.

--Peter Metcalfe