Re: Newbie - First post

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_...>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 22:39:14 +1100

Gedday Lee, and welcome to the list.

> Where should I begin? How do you attract new players? Enlighten me.

Seeking players? Put out a note on this list or a gaming web site like Gamers Realm. Issaries maintains a wanted list at www.glorantha.com. Does your local game store have a notice board? If finding local players is difficult, consider the challenges and joys of an Inter Relay Chat campaign. The IRC campaign that I am part of has players from halfway round the world. We simply the mechanics as much as possible, and it works just fine.

The HW system is flexible and easy to apply, though the rule book itself can be difficult. Start with simple contests until your players are happy with the rather freeform nature of the system. Once you understand that *anything* (person, thing, skill, attribute, abstraction) can contest *anything* (person, thing, skill, attribute, abstraction) then all sorts of story opportunities open up. There is a list parallel to this for rules-related questions and discussions - see

http://www.btinternet.com/~Nick_Brooke/lists.htm

If you and your players know a little Glorantha, ask about the type of campaign they'd like, and plan accordingly. Playing Heortlings in Sartar (or as exiles in Pavis) is the best supported option to date. More lunar material will be available soon, hopefully allowing exploration of the Empire as well as military campaigns. If you're all new to Hero Wars, a simple stead-based Heortling game might be the easiest place to start. The sourcebook 'Barbarian Adventures' covers this option, and there's a wealth of free background material on the Issaries website.

Cheers

John

nysalor_at_... John Hughes
Questlines: http://home.iprimus.com.au/pipnjim/questlines/

Let's put our heads together and start a new country up.