Re: Newbie - First post

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 13:18:50 -0000

Hi Lee,
> Just signed up.

Welcome. From your post I am not sure how Glorathan literate you are, though you mention RQ in the list, so I am uncertian if you want advice on HW or Glorantha.

>Have played Runequest, COC, Pendragon (but GK has shelved it for a
while) before, bought some RQ products but have never played HW.<

Hero Wars is a little different to the heavywieghts of the BRP family like RQ in mechanics, its emphasis is story over system. There is a universal contest system that allows you to adjudicate any type of conflict either with a quick one-roll or on a blow-by-bow basis (not just combat but debates, races etc.) If you have played Pendragon then it is not to far a jump (probably about the same distance as Pendragon was from RQ).

> Where should I begin? How do you attract new players? Enlighten
me.<
Some really good suggestions so far. The web site at www.glorantha.com is, IMO, one of the best around and has a wealth of detail. Of course detail can be off putting sothe best trick is to start simply and work your way out. Dragon Pass is a good starting point for adventure, the basic rule book has keywords for a number of cultures in that region, and looking at the info on Orlanthi or Lunars will help.

Hero Wars is very community-based, so give the players a community for which they are chief troubleshooters and go from there. That means you only have to worry about a clan, or mercenary company to start with. Eveyone else, the outsiders, can be more vague, until you get comfortable (If you want to play an Olranhi game King of Dragon Pass, the computer game from A-Sharp gives you a really good feel for community based adventures spurred by clan life as well as thebooks already mentioned Thunder Rebels, Storm Tribe, Barbarian Adventures).

Always remember it is your game, supplements exist to save you time, and writers try to be consistent with what is already known, but you don't have to follow them for your game. Don't be afraid to make stuff up, after all that is how everything else came into being. Don't be put off from great ideas just because someone tells you that 'officially' that is not true.

If you are writing an adventure try to keep to one extended contest, saving it for the climax, and give the heroes lots of things to try. (Its the big SF spectaculr of the movie). For earlier encounters simple contests work better in building rising tension (yes, even combat).

Anything more specific you want to know?