Re: Newbie - First post

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 19:40:42 -0800

Lee

> Just signed up. Have played Runequest, COC, Pendragon (but GK has
> shelved it for a while) before, bought some RQ products but have
> never played HW.
>
> Where should I begin? How do you attract new players? Enlighten me.

The same as for any game, I would imagine. Are you planning to gamemaster?

One reasonable approach is to start with Barbarian Adventures, which includes a number of "normal" adventures. (These then lead up to the full-blown Hero Wars with Orlanth is Dead.)

Everyone can understand the Heortlings ("Kind of like Vikings but with lots of magic and myths"). Don't expect people to know much if any of what's in Thunder Rebels.

Several people have said that my computer game King of Dragon Pass makes a good intro. It's intended to be accessible to non-Gloranthaphiles, and intentionally doesn't go into as much detail as you would in a roleplaying game.

Finally, don't be afraid to make stuff up, especially if it's stuff the players would enjoy. If they want to explore the world, you can make them Wolf Pirates instead.

--

David Dunham
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html>