Re: New poll for HeroWars

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_at_...>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 20:49:29 -0000

Bryan writes:

>> o Yes, I like steam punk and strange big machinery.

> I have to put a qualifier on my vote. Yes, they have steam
> engines... [etc.]

Seconding: what Bryan said.

As with many of the polls thrown up here, ISTM this one wasn't very well thought through. Voting on whether dwarfs have strange machines is like voting on whether trolls know weird darkness secrets... kinda pointless.

>From the way it was phrased, you get the sense that the poll's
originator doesn't like the ways in which he would make use of strange dwarf machinery.

To any Gloranthan other than a dwarf, it's "weird mostali magic". Not science. Not reliable, not trustworthy, not "modern", not pervasive, etc.

You'd be more likely to get your Heortling characters to embrace the Lunar Way (which is, at least, theistic and human in origin) than to appreciate the advantages of a steampunk industrial revolution.

Cheers, Nick