Re: Re: Diciple and a magic contest

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 23:26:15 +0200 (EET)

On Wed, 20 Nov 2002, Greg Stafford wrote:

> At 04:40 PM 11/20/2002 -0000, Simon wrote:
> >Suppose the aforementioned Humakti placed said storm powers into
> >an enchantment, or somehow gifted them to a follower, could
> >that avoid this unwanted side-effect? Might it be reasonable
> >to have the option of accepting the storm power in the form of
> >a bound daimon?
>
> Of course. MGF. YGWV.
> --------
> Greg Stafford, greg_at_...

As it happened, this is how it went.

If I'd try to phrase into a myth...

"When Humakt the kinless came to Orlanth's great house, many were impressed by his stern look and proud demeanor, but there were some that were not.

One there was, a windlord proud and fierce. Would not accept Humakt his chief in war without a test of skill.

He gave his challenge then; "Stranger, black with power burns your sword, but will you show me skill and courage? Let us take the truest test. I would test you in a play of arms, and maybe take that sword as mine own treasure. If it be you who best me, take of mine what you will."

Orlanth the chief moved to stop his thane, for it is not seemly to be so quick to challenge one new to the household, but grim humakt smiled and showed his concent.

Outside the stead then, under the stormy skies, they made the bladestorm. Fierce was the stormthane, his blade as the cutting wind, his voice like thunder and his feet like the dance of Heler's rams.

But Humakt the grim, mached him blow by blow, silent and skillful, true in every parry. When the thane had shown his honour, humakt struck but once. A silence fell, over cheer and exitement, for the thane fell and would not rise.

Grim Humakt parhaps looked sad and weary for a spell, then turned to his chief. Orlanth spoke then "What once was his now is yours. Take your price and honor his passing."

Humakt did look upon his foe, and took a warriors band from his stilled left arm. Of tin and silver was the bauble, gifted from the Stormfather himself. Humakt the champion girt his wrist in the band of tin, and as people watched a breeze blew the hair from his face, and gave play to his fine cloak.

Humakt honoured his challenger, his friend and foe in battle, and ever after carried the band of tin, and ever after did the thanes breath linger with him, giving play to his cloak and hair.

        -Adept