A Good End in Badside - Part XXXV

From: Oliver D. Bernuetz <bernuetz.oliver_at_...>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 20:13:18 -0000

(I can't claim that Jim was a fan of this story though he did correct a mistake I made in an earlier section so I respectfully dedicate this section to his memory).

Hell, I was so pleased to still be breathing that I would be glad to add the cost of an iron hand axe to my expense account. Oh, I wish I could be there though when the clerks got to that item! The sweet irony of Lunars paying to replace some crazed Lunar hating barabrian's axe was pretty funny. I stood up since it didn't look like my savior was going to lend me a hand and did a quick inventory. It looked like everything important was still there though I certainly didn't like the look of my hand. I could see some bones through the bubbling skin and I know for a fact that only the calmness Lyos provides was keeping me from fainting.

I heard a clank as my savior dismounted and he walked over. I turned to face him. Not face to face though mind you. I am so sick of all these monstrous barbarians. The bastard must have been well over 2 metres tall. I looked up into the shadow cast by his helm and saw that he was looking down, way down, at my hand in a concerned manner. "May I?" he asked and I nodded partially stunned by these uncharacteristic display of manners from a Uroxi. He took my hand in both of his, I thought for a moment that I was going to die when he took hold of my forearm and squeezed. Hard. Through the blinding pain I could hear him chanting again. I heard a roaring, not the weird horse-like critter this time and a wind swept through the lane.

And what a wind! Sand and garbage were kicked up and I could hear people screaming in terror. The wind swept right up to us and into my body. I swear it came in through every orifice. We were both lifted off our feet and caught up in a whirlwind. As we spun around I could feel the wind sweeping through my body. Have you ever been caught in a sandstorm? Well this was like that except not only was the sand scouring me on the outside but inside as well. A singularily unpleasant experience I must say. I caught a look at my hand as we spun around and saw that...stuff was coming out of it. I can't tell you what it looked like and I prefer not to remember anyway. We spun around for what seemed like an eternity and then crashed to the ground. At this point my gift from Lyos was gone and I lost consciousness.

When I regained consciousness, have I mentioned how tired I am of saying that, I found myself still lying in the street with nio signs that anyone had provided me with any medical attention. I felt like I'd been stampeded by the entire Bison Nation and I very badly needed a drink. My hand was throbbing, I was stark naked, not a pretty sight and I needed to both pee and throw up. Despite all that my training sprang into action and I looked around.

My savior was having an argument with Jorjar the Quick. I must say that Jorjar looked to be holding his own despite the fact that the Uroxi looked capable of eating his as a snack. (Wouldn't that be chaotic though?) The constables with Jorjar didn't look like they were willing to provide any backup if it came to a fight though. There were soldiers from the Marble Phalanx everywhere in full rig looking mighty jumpy and trying to create some order. It looked like a priest of the Young Elementals was controlling a gnome and directing it to clear rubble.

There were a lot of Impala Riders wailing over the bodies being uncovered and the soldiers were trying unsuccessfully for the most part to force them back. Jorjar and my savior stopped their argument when they noticed that I was conscious and Jorjar glared at me and said, "What the fuck exactly happened here Treibonus?"

To be continued.

Oliver