Re: Confusing Carmania

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2000 15:03:57 +1300

Kevin P. McDonald:

> From this I feel that Carmanian cults are small, insular, and fragmented.

Well they have a lot of little cults, but there are a few broadly popular cults (such as Humakt or Yanafal Tarnils). This is really no different from a Heortling following Orlanth Adventurous and Hedkorath or Orlanth Thunderous and Vanganth or being a devotee of Orlanth Red and an initiate in Heort.

>Further, the carmanians seem to adore the gods they worship less than most
>theists. It seems more likely that they practice specific rites in order
>to gain affinities. In other words, they come close to using Improper
>Worship (i.e. sorcery to worship a God).

No, definitely not. They are as theistic as can be. Their pragmatic sorcerous attitude refers to their acceptance of cults for the job they can do and whether they are Servants of the Truth or not, not "Mein Gott Uber Alles".

>This would answer a question one of my players asked: "Since their cults
>are so fragmented, shouldn't the Carmanians suck at magic?"

If the Orlanthi people are so fragmented, shouldn't they suck at fighting?

--Peter Metcalfe