Re: Re: Battle Magic Gone Bad

From: David Cake <dave_at_...>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 18:48:05 +0800

At 12:59 AM -0800 25/11/02, Gianfranco Geroldi scribbled:
> > My question:
>> If a person clains that he alone can manage to fight
>> 188 men (warrior 1W to
>> 5W level), and he is not lying, how good is he in
>> fighting? (HeroWars
>> targetnumer?)
>
>IMO, this is not a statement that can be reasonaly
>abstracted with a mere target number.
>
>If a hero claimed so and then tried to demonstrate his
>statement, I would say (as a narrator): the warriors
>form a shield wall and sweep him down; or: they throw
>their javelins at him and bury him.

        Whatever tactics they come up with, an extra level of mastery should be enough to overcome it. People with that many levels of mastery can jump over the tops of the shields or fatally stab through tiny gaps, not just dodge the javelins but get in amongst the enemy quick enough that the javelins hurt them, and so on. How can a large group hope to be as skilled or well coordinated as a single absolute master?

>There is just an option for him to win this kind of
>contest in my game: be a godling/superhero (like
>Captain Kirk did in Star Trek the Movie number I:
>change the rules!).
>But I must admit that in my game this
>Superhero/Godling "keyword" has not been used yet.

        If you have, say, w5, then you have the skill level of a hero, regardless of your divine nature. We are talking such a skill level that no human on earth may be that good at many abilities.

        Now, I see what you are getting at, and is one of the eternal problems of Hero Wars (there is always the question of can a high enough ability level let you do the literally impossible - ie can an otherwise normal human with Jump w5 jump over a house?) but certainly in the case of combat (where some martial arts masters really do take on large numbers of people) its very reasonable for a heroic NPC to take on such a huge number and expect to win.

        I think you have it backwards - if you want it such that only godlings and superheroes can take on armies, then don't allow people to get abilities that high without becoming a godling or superhero, rather than trying to overrule the game mechanics.

	Cheers
		David