Re: Battle Magic Gone Bad

From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_...>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 13:28:34 +0000

>>> My question:
>>> If a person clains that he alone can manage to fight
>>> 188 men (warrior 1W to
>>> 5W level), and he is not lying, how good is he in
>>> fighting? (HeroWars
>>> targetnumer?)
>>

>IMO, this is not a statement that can be reasonably
>abstracted with a mere target number.
>
>[snip]
>
>There is just an option for him to win this kind of
>contest in my game: be a godling/superhero (like
>Captain Kirk did in Star Trek the Movie number I:
>change the rules!).
>But I must admit that in my game this
>
>Superhero/Godling "keyword" has not been used yet.

Godling/superhero isn't a keyword, IMO, but a level of ability - or rather the result of the transformation necessary to attain a certain level of ability. Thus, IMG, anyone who attains an ability level over 20w3 becomes part divine (or equivalent, depending on magic style). If that isn't a sacrifice they're willing to make - and it *is* a big sacrifice - then they just can't improve their abilities to 1w4 or above. The chart on HW p.119 describes this level of ability as being typical of Harrek or Jar-Eel, so I regard this as a reasonable extrapolation from the rules, although doubtless not the only plausible interpretation :-)

The simple fact is that the Hero Wars rules clearly make it possible for someone with this level of skill to defeat any number of bog-standard warriors (as Roderick made plain in his post) and I can't help but think that this is intentional. If you don't want characters to be that powerful in your game, you'll just have to stop them getting that good. That's exactly what I intend to do in mine!

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic