Re: Battle Magic Gone Bad

From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_...>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 15:38:10 +0100

Kevin :

> These are not my ideas, but my players, but I thought they might
> amuse, or even be useful if you run a magic heavy campaign:
>
> Consider the Vingan Feat "Mile Javelin Throw" - now consider in a
> battle the Javelin component of the battle array, where you put the
> berserks and kin. It's mythically linked with a Javelin in all sorts
> ways. So can you "chuck" it at the enemy with this feat?

Wow. I just *love* this idea.

There are so many cool ways of interpreting and playing it ... :-)

> Give or take
> the modifiers for the numbers "thrown" (what's a couple of masteries
> between friends?), does it work as a near teleport for an entire
> military unit?

Throw, not teleport IMO (ie the unit would fly very fast through the air, as you're interpreting the magic, NOT teleport, but on a wargame scale, sure, you could just remove the unit from one place/hex and plop it somewhere else instead : and think about attacks of opportunity maybe).

Another simpler interpretation would be to imbue the unit with VERY long-range missile weapons and magic.

Or perhaps it means that groups of warriors in the Javelin can be thrown into distant battle by groups of Vingan women in the Byrnie (or Sword)

Or maybe it grants them a very_fast_charge_and_disregard_terrain ability (imagine dozens of Vingan warriors charging up a 60% slope forested hillside).

Or ... ;-)

> Then consider "Sword Help", "Deadly Spear Thrown" or even "Leaping
> Shield" used on the relevant components of your battle array.
>
> Then ask yourself, as a GM, why not?

:-)

> I was already scared by running the Battle of Iceland (75 scenarios or
> so under their belts, circa 5 HP per character per scenario plus
> heroquest boosts - these are powerful PCs), fearing I might damage its
> majesty - this just makes it worse. -- Kevin Blackburn

Well, I guess you'll just have to wait for the appropriate ILH, and extensive details of Lunar magic : fair's fair ... ;-)

And hey, there's no-one to stop you upping the enemy TNs ...

Julian Lord