Re: Battle Magic Gone Bad

From: ttrotsky2 <TTrotsky_at_...>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 23:54:07 -0000

> You're right, I did. Sorry, I thought your problem was more along
the lines
> of "my heroes keep beating up the entire clan fyrd, what can I do *but*
> restrict them" type of thing.
> Of course, I don't see why you *wouldn't* want
> them to beat up a clan fyrd effortlessly

By 'them', BTW, I refer to characters I'd want to play as a player, not just those I'd want to GM. But, anyway, my answer is that once everyday threats cease to be, well, a threat, I lose a connection with the character that I (hopefully) had up until that point. You begin to move into an overly fantastic arena - in this case adventuring in the God Plane - that holds no long-term interest for me, and move away from that grounding in mundaneity that's so essential for my ability to roleplay. This applies equally to my ability to convey an interesting story and to roleplay NPCs in the case of GMing a campaign at that level.

Many people don't feel this way, and more power to 'em, I say.

> (eventually, of course, not as a
> starting ability level),

Indeed :-)

> but that's more a style-of-play question than
> anything to do with mechanics :-)
>
> And no, let's not get into any sort of "my way is better than yours"
> discussions, gang.
> Every-one's style of play is valid. Let's not badmouth
> the stickpicker campaign any more than we badmouth the demigod campaign.

A campaign that allows you to get up to 20w3 is arguably not a 'stickpicker campaign' :-)

> Both have historical precedent in the "source material" - from the
> stickpicker Lord of the Rings Hobbits or early Once and Future King,
to the
> Demigod Argonauts or Epic of Gilgamesh.

Absolutely. When I say that I presume that the ability of powerful characters to wade through armies like a knife through butter in Hero Wars is there intentionally, I don't mean that as a criticism. Its not my style, but it is many people's, and I think its really neat that Hero Wars allows both styles to work equally well.

Oh, wait... someone was complaining to me recently that this List was getting too tame... so, uh, yah boo sucks, Roderick - I know the One True Way of Gaming and everyone who disagrees with me is a Loooooser!!

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic