Re: Playing Powerful Characters

From: Julian Lord <jlord_at_...>
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 14:34:26 +0100

Graham :

> >For comparison, tbe longest gaming campaign I have ever been in ran
> >to about 35 sessions, and the longest I've ever succeeded in running
> >was about 30.

The longest campaign I've ever been involved with probably lasted for about 500 - 600 sessions (with sometimes up to about 10 sessions/week), so I'm naturally sensitive to these issues ... :-)

> I'd advise anyone hoping for a long campaign to throw in a
> house rule of '1hp for each mastery in a skill'.

Wooh, careful ! Tread these waters lightly, lest you be accused of evil simulationist number-crunching !! ;-)

More seriously : excellent rule !

> That'll get you to
> 1W2 and being a mover and shaker pretty quick, but stop you reaching
> the point where only Orlanth and Rufelza themselves are a challenge.

Delay rather than stop ...

I'd assume that in real terms player heroes IYG develop many skills as opposed to focussing on their specialities : am I right ? If so, how has it affected the game ?

Wouldn't it encourage the jack-of-all-trades type of PC so prevalent in RQ2 ?

> Wish I had placed that rule from the start. Instead, we opted for a
> voluntary 10W3 ceiling (unless you heroquest for better) which I don't
> like, but the players feel is fairer.

I think you're correct not to like it. Still, if that's what your players want, more power to them ...

> It isn't the W3 and W4 characters that worry me, its the W6 and W7
> that I could have in a couple of years time...

>From what little I've seen, I think HQ will do a better job than HW at handling high level play, and presenting a playable framework
of power levels. Not that HW did a _bad_ job, to the contrary ... :-)

Julian Lord