Re: Powerful characters - how to stay grounded

From: Benedict Adamson <yahoo_at_...>
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 17:50:03 +0000

Svechin_at_... wrote:

> Some of my players have characters that hit w6 when they augment (the Humakti
> Disciple for one) but their magic is in the w2 range which means a potent and
> boosted lunar mage can be very dangerous against them

> I guess what I'm saying (and this is directed to Jamie
> mainly) is that you don't have to be wandering the godplane, fighting the MoM
> or combating the underworld denizens to have a reality grounded game even at
> huge levels of power.

> See how risible the w4
> close combat character looks when he becomes king of a tribe and then is
> asked to handle a tule border dispute or an argument over a cow when his Rule
> Tribe skill is 17 or his Know Law skill is 13 and his opponent is 17w at
> Argue Black is White.

> I suppose what I am trying to say is that this whole argument seems to
> revolve around the players becoming uncontrollable to the narrator due to
> their obscene combat skills.

> What use being a sword hero if your foe is a Seductive Vamp 20w and your only
> defence against her undoubted charms is your Stoic skill of 17 that you never
> bothered to raise because you have a close combat of 12w4.

Even in combats, relying on a massive Close Combat alone can cause you trouble. My Vingan's Close Combat is 10-15 points lower than our best fighter, yet she usually has to rescue HIM from defeat, not the other way around. She might be worse at Close Combat, but she also has Movement, Combat and Protection affinities on par with her Close Combat, plus a host of second-rate (but respectable) other abilities she's picked up.

Graham Robinson wrote:
> Worries the heck out of me, but then I'm already well past 50 sessions. I'd
> advise anyone hoping for a long campaign to throw in a house rule of '1hp
> for each mastery in a skill'.

We've played almost every week for over two years, so we're well past 50 sessions too. I'd advise anyone hoping for a long campaign not to add such a house rule.

Sure, a Character's rate of advance can seem rapid when the Player spends most of their points on one ability, but that should not be an option in the long term; the Narrator should demonstrate how weak a one-trick-pony character is. A typical keyword has about 10 abilities in it, so in the long term it costs about 10 HP per +1 in ability, even to be a one dimensional warrior. To be at all balanced, the Player should be spending on all three keywords, costing nearer 35 HP per +1 ability.