Re: Playing Powerful Characters

From: Julian Lord <jlord_at_...>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 15:40:37 +0100

Norbert :

> Just a careful question from me: How often do you people actually
> play?

Currently, hardly at all. The people in my group have work shifts *impossible* to reconcile, wives, kids, etc.

> Didn't you just say you were once in a campaign that had 10 sessions
> in a week sometimes? Hey, there are only 7 days in a week, did you
> play several sessions on Saturdays and Sundays? How did this ever work
> out?

We were still at school, and it was the early 1980s : you know, back in the days that RPGs were BIG and NEW ... ;-)

2 sessions/day, 3 times/week : + an average of 1 session/day during the other four days of the week.

I was also involved with a gaming group that had about 50 players and 8 to 10 GM/Players (again, early Eighties : them's were the days...), and I occasionally played 3 sessions in a single day / 24-hour period.

Crazy fun times. Would NOT do it again !!!

> I feel that I've missed so much because the best average I ever got
> out of a RPG campaign was when I gamed once every 14 days on Friday or
> Saturday afternoons, and that was about ...well, 8 years ago, which
> means long before I was first introduced to Glorantha as a setting.

OTOH by never having played so intensively, you may have kept a certain freshness that the more intensive roleplayers tend to lack.

My hands-down best experiences in roleplaying were with groups of people none of whom had ever played before (especially the extra-special time in Deauville with the cool group of four cute nineteen-year-old girls, none of whom had ever played before).

> ... but I
> have other non-RPG hobbies that I will not neglect and, talking from
> experience, whenever I had aimed for the once-per-14-days regimen,
> there were always some cancellations, there would be interruptions
> because of family things or holidays and vacations or something else

... tell me about it ... that's a hell of a lot more than I'm playing these days. :-(

Julian