Re: Re: Powerful characters, rules, roles, narration

From: Graham Robinson <graham_at_...>
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2002 19:14:56 +0000

>IMO, there are several ways around this for the narrator that feels
>constrained by previous decisions.

First off, I don't see consistency as a constraint - I see it as a basis for a good campaign.

>1 - this clan champion is not typical.

A valid option that no one is denying makes for interesting stories. Shouldn't be a necessary one though.

>2 - the last time you met that clan champion, he was 10W2.

I would very rarely have characters other than heroes improving within a campaign. The occasional nemesis or ally (Kallyr, JarEel, etc.) but not someone as minor as a clan champion. Most characters are there to be obstacles to overcome (possibly to lose to first) and then move on. Someone who was a threat at 10W2 should rarely be a threat at 10W4.

So again, a useful trick, but not IMO a good basis for running all games.

>3 - Why be bound by campaign consistency at the micro-level of
>ability ratings? What, in Glorantha, is an ability rating?
>Gloranthans might know that "Fred can usually kick Joe's ass"
>and "Hey, remember that Joe beat Bill and Bill beat Fred". So choose
>whatever rating that makes a good story and still maintains story
>consistency rather than game mechanics consistency.

Or, put another way, why bother with a game system at all? If I don't use the numbers to keep consistency, what are they there for?

Cheers,
Graham

--
Graham Robinson