Re: Powerful characters, rules, roles, narration

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2002 07:36:23 -0800

At 12:53 AM 12/4/2002 +0000, you wrote:
>> when I've said "a typical clan
>> champion has skill level 10W2" I am stuck with that choice. If I turn
round
>> and say "you're fighting a typical clan champion, close combat 10W4" I am
>> cheating the players.

I dont think there is any cheating here.

>What I meant was that the narrator roughly decides the power level of
>the opponents, then decides what those opponents are. So if it will be a
>combat for 5W starting characters, the opposition might be some 5W
>weapon thanes; when the characters advance to 10W2 it might be the clan
>champion, and so on.

It seems everyone has forgotten the meaning of "average."

An average clan champion may be 10W2. This means that there is a range for them that varies widely, according to your game, but it could be between 25 and 15W3.

Greg Stafford, greg_at_...
Issaries, Inc. 900 Murmansk St., Suite 5; Oakland, CA 94607 Phone: (510) 452 1648 Fax: (510) 302 0385 Publisher of HeroQuest, Roleplaying in Glorantha See our site at: <www.glorantha.com>