Heroes Behaving Badly

From: andyhoward39 <ahoward39_at_...>
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2002 20:22:08 -0000

Been motivated to rejoin the list since I've just been handed the reigns of our Sartar Rising campaign. We're running a clan based storyline, in preparation for the Orlanth is Dead! stuff, and I narrated my first session on Monday. Fairly relaxed introduction, with some weird encounters at the tribal market. However, the actions of two of the heroes have been weighing on my mind.

The situation developed like this. The lawspeaker (the character I was playing prior to accepting the mantle of narrator) resigned after being accused of cowardice during a meeting of the clan. This was my last act as a player.

Whilst walking back to his hut the following night, he was attacked by half a dozen warriors and beaten so badly that it was feared he would die from his injuries. All well and good – I'd planned it like this. What I hadn't considered was that two of the heroes would be involved.

The munchkin weaponthane who led the accusations in the council was there, as was the Black Ram initiate (whose player apparently wants him to renounce his cruel past). Both cheerfully went along with the attack (bearing in mind this is a fellow hero who has quested and bled alongside them) and neither seems bothered about having done so.

Whilst I know the effects this crime will have on the clan (the problems over the next year will all stem from it, and the resolution will be to restore law to the clan), I'm concerned about the way the heroes are reacting to it. I'm trying to focus on morality and responsibility, mortal actions and their consequences in the magical world, and using myth to provide a framework by which the heroes can sort it all out. However, if the players are going to choose the easy, `bad' option every time, I'm worried I'll be narrating for a group of broos before too long.

I've always considered that this narrating business would be so much easier without any players... ;)

Andy