ALERT!! New Thread - Non-human Campaigns.

From: simonbrayuk_at_...
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 05:09:44 EST

Hi All,

 I have run several non-human games with varying degrees of success.

 Chaos - Good for getting the evil out of your system, but extremelly short lived. We played scorpionmen and a broo, horrible!

 Uz- I have played a Sazdorf Troll which was fun and I have run a trollkin game where the players started out as food trollkin through game play eventually became values and then did a runner! I have also run the Stillwater Clan game, in which Mark Galoetti played a troll drummer shaman with groupies, Chris Geddes played a Grog Shoppe Owner, Chris Jones an Argan Argar trader and Mark Rowe a one-armed Great Troll, it was a fun game running from light humour to dark horror, they were all trollball players in a Freeze Day evening little league. Sadly half the players were turned into termites after confronting a Queen Termite in Laca (they were newly weds too, ruined the hooneymoon).

 Baboons - Walaki Big-Stick-in-Hands and his troop were played for a couple of sessions, they were great fun, but one player was being too serious and spat his dummy over the game. I also played a Baboon Storm Khan (are the heady days of RQ)

 Elves - one player ran an elf in my RQ game for 10 years, but as we discovered more about the Aldryami we realised the character was all wrong. At a later date he began to play a mischievous pixie, possibly the most annoying PC ever.

 Morokanth - I played a morokanth, he was big thick and supid, with a bad temper and flea bitten herd men - his stats are in Thieves Arm.

 Ludoch - This was a big one off session (which several players want to continue with) it was excellent fun, very dark and heroic in nature, the scenario was an adaptation of the Vomiter in Barran the Monster Slayer. I was lucky, we had fantastic (almonst legendary players). This game was actually so epic that some people remembered it (wrongly) as being a campaign. The players really organised their mind set and got deep into the character psyche.

 Ducks - I love them, but ironically have never had one played in my games. However one of my players plays the most fantastic Keet you have ever seen, he even know how to preen properly!

 Centaurs - I played one and loved her, however they are limited when the Narrator then runs a D&D dungeon crawl. I think that the beastmen have some good potential, there are good real world myths relating to their behaviour and the fact that they congregate in mixed groups in Beast Valley adds to their playability.

 Tusk Riders - Like chaos you can play nasty and horrible.

 Xeno-Gang - I loved the Xeno-gang idea and we played this for ages, I played my baboon, along with a Gorilla, a minotaur and a manticore - bizarre fun.

 I think all non-humans have potential, however there is almost always a tendency for the game to have a farsical edge. Out of all of these games only the Ludoch game was serious, darkly so. However if you are looking for a fun campaign then non-humans can do that for you. Uz is best, Baboons is good, Ludoch are great (but very strange).

Cheers Simon Bray

The Unspoken Word - The Magazine for Gloranthans and Heroes http://www.celtic-webs.com/theunspokenword/