Re: Hero Behaving Badly

From: kmnellist_at_...
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 18:49:32 EST

<< I'm more curious as to why the heroes actually helped in beating
> up their friend. Did they think he did wrong? Were they trying
> to ingratiate themselves with the enemy? Was the victim a prick
> that needed to be taken down a peg or two?

 I'm probably not the best judge of that ;) I'll ask Keith.>>

In my defense, I do have a pretty despicable Hero with few redeeming features (lying, cheating, cruel & brutal...these are his best abilities). I expect him to get in trouble for doing bad things. In this instance I had not thought "lets beat up the cowardly lawspeaker" but was asked by Narrator Charactors; "wouldn't it be fun to beat up our cowardly lawspeaker who has resigned his duties?". Naturally, my nasty Hero said yes. As a player I thought this was the lead into some sort of episode so didn't want to do something that a) seemed logical for my Hero to do, and b) had been suggested by a Narrator character.

Perhaps I should have leapt at the chance to take the first step on the road from Bad Guy to Good Guy. Either way, following Orlanthi traditions:

Make mistakes, and fix them
Violence is always an option
Valind is a bit of a brat. (hero was identified with Valind in a recent Heroquest)

More generally, I think I was following what I thought was the Narrators planned storyline, but perhaps I wasn't. I know that I sometimes hope, when I am Narrating, that the players will do something that I hadn't thought of, but that they generally follow cues from the Narrator when they possibly can. Sometimes players (including myself) like to be led by the nose, because that's where the episode is going to happen.

Keith
PS hope Aethan is feeling better.