A Good End in Badside Part XXXVII

From: Oliver D. Bernuetz <bernuetz.oliver_at_...>
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2002 20:05:46 -0000

How odd, an Uroxi being given complete freedom to operate in Prax. He must have done something big for Sor-Eel or someone else OR he has something good on someone. I shrugged as I watched Bolderson mount up and ride off. As soon as his back was turned all the Marble goons competed to see who could send the most hostile glance darting towards his back. Not too brave perhaps but plenty smart. I turned to Jorjar and Hucipites and said, "Are we done here?"

Jorjar glared at me with a truly evil expression, "You I can arrest...but I won't, not this time. Keep yourself available, Placidus." He turned his back to me and started a whispered conversation with Hucipites. My feelings hurt by this shabby treatment boo hoo, no not really, glad to be ignored actually I decided to bugger off holding my injured hand close to my chest.

I decided to head home. I quickly discovered that with typical Lunar efficiency that the immediate area had been cordoned off with a lovely scarlet rope, no less, attached to bronze posts. I knew from experience that these barriers were magically protected and would give you a nasty jolt if you touched them. Standing on the disaster side of the barrier were more Marble phalanx boys. On the other, disaster free side, had gathered a crowd. Like most crowds they'd been nowhere to see while the action was taking place. They'd used their crowd sense to realize the danger was over so they had spontaneously collected to gawk and rubberneck.

Typical motely lot. The dregs of Genertela, or at least Prax, and the hoity toity types as well who had nothing better to do. There were also clumps of smelly Praxians who apparently had gotten wind of some rumour of Chaos run rampant. These stood about offending their immediate neighbours, at least those who also weren't Praxians, vowing vengeance and swearing terrible oaths. The goons took careful note of those swearing by Storm Bull or particularily violently by Waha as a precaution against future troublemakers. I got up to just this side of the barrier and asked one of the Marble goons to let me through. He looked back to Hucipites for guidance and when he got the nod swung a section open of the barricade for me using a carefully muttered so as to be inaudible codeword. "Good luck with this lot," he cheerfully said nodding at the mob.

I was less than thrilled at the thought of making my way through these morons so I pressed the catch on the side of my fake leg that made the hobnails come out. I started making my way through the crowd using curses in every language I know and carefully applied boots with my now hobnailed foot to clear the way. I of course avoided sections of the crowd dominated with Waha or Storm Kahns or people wealthy enough to make trouble for me. Oppress the poor that's my motto. I was rewarded by curses, pleas for information, cries of "Who done it then?", "What's happened." and even one, "What exactly has transpired here then?" Him I booted in the groin since his clothes were rather tatty. I deflected all these questions with shakes of my head, physical violence, curses or that old classic "Ask the governor."

Just as I was about to leave the crowd someone grabbed my upper arm. I was just about to stomp on their foot to make them let go when I realized it was a woman. Or rather that it was Petro.

To be continued.

Oliver