A Good End in Badside - Part XXXVIII

From: Oliver D. Bernuetz <bernuetz.oliver_at_...> <bernuetz.oliver_at_...>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 22:08:38 -0000

"You're alive," I blurted out. "Shush," he said, "Where can we go that's private?" He looked like hell. What little skin I could see was bruised and he was filthy. He'd obviously turned his robes inside out to hide some of the dust and dirt. I looked around to see whether anyone was watching and decided no one who mattered was paying any attention to us. I thought for a second and said, "Juli's, do you know where it is?" He nodded and said, "I'll meet you there." I watched him go with misgiving in my heart but decided that a bath would be welcome whether he showed up or not. The downside being of course that I would have to drag my poor bruised body all the way across town again. I sighed and headed out.

Wheezing and puffing like a bellows being worked by an overly enthusiastic giant I finally made it to Juli's. Cletus shook his head to see me back again so soon. "You're going to get sick getting wet so often. What do you think you are a newtling?" I managed to reward this witticism of his with a strained but clearly false ha, ha and hobbled past hoping to find someplace to collapse out of the sun. Surprisingly Juli herself was manning (womaning? no staffing) the reception desk. She smiled and said, "We've been expecting you." She stood up and preceded me into the tub room. I croaked, "We?" and managed to follow her in.

Inside the tub was already full and steaming. Sitting inside was a slim young, and yep after a quick check, definitely male figure. Petro smiled and gestured for me to join him. After a pause to catch my breath I stripped with Juli's help, unstrapped my leg and slid in. I went under the water and stayed there until my muscles had started to unkink. I was under so long that hands started to grab me. Wishing to help me since I was obviously drowning I guessed. I pushed them away and stuck one hand out of the water in a rude gesture to let them know I was alright.

I surfaced to suprised looks on their faces. "How did you manage to stay under so long?" Juli asked. "My great grandmother was a fish," I replied. A statement that lives in the general vicinity of the truth if not right next door. Juli shook her head and said, "You never cease to surprise me Treibonus. I'll leave you two gentlemen alone. Your friend has paid for the entire afternoon." I blessed her for not loading the word "friend" with any extraneous baggage. Before she got out of earshot I yelled after her for her to send some lunch in. Riding cacodaemons is hungry work. Her reply was refreshingly vulgar and I yelled out a "Please" to appease her.

I looked at Petro across the tub and asked him the following question, "So why shouldn't I drown you right here and now?" He had the decency to wince and replied, "Because then you would never learn what ogres have to do with this whole business of Cressidus and Balarus' deaths." Damn he had me there. "Okay then spill it." He looked to be fortifying himself to reply and then asked, "Do you know what hazia is?"

To be continued.