Re: [HeroWars] Age vs. youth (was 1800 ?)

From: Agent Groove <coridan_at_...>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2002 20:21:15 -0500

Hi! Stepping into the fray!

> > Well, in the real world nobody took you seriously if you claimed to
> be a swordmaster (a teacher that is) and were under thirty.
> >
> > It takes a minimum of 10 years intensive study to really learn
> > swordplay, and the people who seriously train western swordsmanship
> > these days* usually expect to be "deadlier" with their blade(s) at
> the age of sixty than when thirty.
>
> Not if you're talking about honest-to-gosh full speed full power
> fighting with a sword, as opposed to fencing, which is what I have to
> think you mean by "western" sword work.

<snip>

This, IMO, is a simulationist approach.

I think Hero Wars is served better by what is dramatically appropriate. The logic of story is somewhat bound by real world necessity. If you want your old grizzled Humakti veteran to be hell on wheels and as able to fight as well as the whipersnappers, then let him or her be so.

The ability ratings represented in Hero Wars, IMO, are *representative* of the character's overall ability with the Ability. The Humakti clan champion, who is 60 years old, we have to assume that the overall ability rating is the Humakti's skill, experience, physical speed or lack thereof, and various tricks and factors where experience compensates for lack of physical power and speed.

Now, everyone will portray their Hero Wars world to taste. However, I think that trying to simulate real world swordfighting capabilities in a game that draws it's inspiration from various myths and legendry is a mistake. Instead, a balance should be struck between the flavor and appearance of a gritty setting with legendary elements, depending on what kind of campaign is being run - Pavis Badside vs Heroes in the Godplane, for example.

Finally, there are always Flaws, like Slow,Old (as broad, general abilities), Stiff Joints or Failing Eyesight that can be added to a character as a way to represent aging in the setting.

One last thing - as characters become more and more magically powerful, and more and more like their gods, perhaps their bodies change in accordance with the myths that they embody. Old King Broyan is as fast and strong as any of the youths, even in his old age. Why? Because even though Orlanth is their father, he can still outwrestle, outdrink and outfight any of the thunder brothers. His only equal with the sword is grim Humakt himself!

"A leader gets power from followers.
"Violence is always an option."
"A good man does all things well"
"Mistakes are made, and fixed."

Proverbs of Orlanth, King of the Storm Gods Chris Bell
coridan_at_...
argrath_at_...