Re: Digest Number 140

From: Kevin P. McDonald <paul_mcdonald_at_...>
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2000 12:38:19 -0400

Peter laments:

> This is getting extremely confusing. I had the impression that you are talking about the Western Reaches, but in your attempts to make Turos a respected deity, you seem to be talking about the Heartland Pelandans.

Sorry about that! I *was* drifting back and forth across the Oronin. My intent was to establish the pre-carmanian role of Turos, and then work forwards to see how he works in modern Pelanda on either side of the Oronin. Your summary matches my opinion closely, with the exception that I think Carmanians may worship of certain aspects of Turos for the benefits they offer. I will try to be more definite in the future...

Just to clarify, I am not saying that Turos is not a farmer god. I am saying that he isn't *just* a farmer god - at least not in Lunar Pelanda. I also want to draw a distinction between power and importance. When you say that Turos is not more powerful than the other High Gods I agree whole-heartedly. What I am saying is that Turos is more important than the others when it comes to the father role (Power), just as Oria is the mother (Success), Uleria is Love, Bentus is Pleasure, ect. When the High Gods needed a prophet, and to found a line of heroic leaders, Jernotia conceived Idomon with Turos.

Speaking of the High Gods, one point I am still confused about (among many) is the traditional pelandan Idovanus and Dendara roles. These two, like Bentus and Uleria, are apparently not worshiped as a pair. What are their roles in Pelandan society, and how are they different than Turos & Oria? Order & Virtue have a different (and more Dara Happan) sound than Power & Success. Dendara is not the wife of Idovanus, though, as she is to Yelm in Dara Happa. There also seems to be some kind of connection in pelandan/wendarian myth between Turos and Idovanus, but I am not very clear on what the relationship is. Could you comment more on the role filled buy Idovanus and Entekos in traditional Pelandan culture?

> But the average Orlanthi is a much better fighter than the average Pelorian. Whether the cult is large or small doesn't effect the magical ability that a worshipper can attain.

The Orlanthi people follow a warlike god. The average Pelorian is a pretty peaceful person. My point is that a Lunar military unit with its Unity magic going is more than a match for a mob of Orlanthi, even though a typical Orlanthi warrior is more powerful than a typical Lunar soldier. That is one of the frustrating and terrifying aspects of the Lunars as an enemy, IMHO.

> The Lunars are not more organized than the Carmanians AFAIK.

Bad choice of words on my part. I was alluding to the Lunar magic of inclusion...

~Kevin