Re: Humakti numbers

From: bethexton <bethexton_at_...> <bethexton_at_...>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 22:55:36 -0000

Except that in the set up of a tribe, this could well in fact be part of the tribe making agreement. See, there is this clan that can wipe the floor with almost anyone else, have brilliant war leaders, and helps protect us all from the undead. So we all send some food and cattle their way each year, since they aren't so good at that.

And don't forget that Greg suggested that the clan might be 40% humakti....I presume he means 40% of the men (meaning less than that of the men plus some women) although I didn't check the math to be sure.

> And just whom do they marry to keep the clan going?
> Not that it matters, cause they have such low fertility.

Presumably the clan traditions deal with that. They may give extra large sacrifices to kero Finn and Ernalda allmother, for example. As for who they marry, well the world takes all types. I'd imagine there would be sufficient families willing to marry their daughters into the most powerful war clan around--and some of those daughters would probably be willing too.

As is the case with most things that seem improbable, it seems more interesting to me to say "under what conditions is this a reasonable thing?" than "this doesn't seem reasonable, so it is not so."

-Bryan