Delecti and Expansionist Theory

From: rjmeints_at_...
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 05:58:20 -0500

Graham Robinson and a few others have awakened a response in me by theorizing on Delecti and his expansionist tendencies, along with his relationships with Humakti around the Marsh.

Delecti generally keeps a low profile. He is ultra-conservative in nature and seldom, if ever wants to draw attention to himself. He certainly doesn't want to spur any crusades against him. Historically speaking, he has only expanded the Marsh at rare intervals, with many years of inactivity between. The rituals and heroquests he uses take detailed, intricate and lengthy preparations. He does not seem time as an enemy any more, so why rush. Many of his more recent incursions against his neighbors have been by honoring alliance committments, like the attack on Runegate, etc.

As for the Greydogs, I've never seen them as mainly Humakti centerist. True, the Greydog have a founder that was a great Humakti hero, and many greydogs have skills that are useful for fighting undead and coping with the Marsh, but that's not the same as having half the tribe striving to become death lords. Who's going to do the plowing, brewing, sheperding, cattle tending, weaving, harvesting, etc.?
If nothing else, most of the players in the Greydog games I played in weren't Humakti. There was a general atmosphere that joining Humakt was OK, but a decision seen as disappointing to many of that person's family, and often discouraged.
(mama's don't let your babies grow up to be Humakti.)

Happy Holidays,
Rick