Re: A Humakti Clan

From: Julian Lord <jlord_at_...>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 13:32:15 +0100

 John :

> I've been impressed with creativity so far. There *are* ways in which
> a Humakti-dominated clan might work.

viz. Gwandor Saga passim ... ;-)

> I imagine the clan would be effectively a mercenary regiment, serving
> both the tribe and a larger city ring, or in a very dangerous area,
> such as the Marsh or on the boundaries of Ginijji.

One among many possibilities In Variant Gloranthas (IVG).

<new acronym warning !! (Hi Mike !!)>

It could also be :

> Marrying a humakti isn't very romantic

Sounds like the definition of Romanticism to me : to marry Death !!

> and often times is impractical.
> They're *different*

Not all of them ... ;-)

> There is also a possibility of less formal or alternative marriage
> arrangements - group marriage, celibate marriages (still useful for
> bloodline and legal purposes) , even limited polyandry. Historically,
> warrior elites have a stronger preference for same sex relationships
> than cultural norms.

But this is Glorantha.

Same-sex relationships are tied to the Life/Fertility Rune, and shouldn't be a distinguishing feature of a Death clan IMO

(whoooops, getting a bit Digesty ??)

> This whole sex/life/marriage/bareblades/hoods
> thingee deserves more teasing out.

Circumcision as symbolic castration, as related to the Severance from Kin ritual maybe ? Sure, why not !!

Julian Lord