Re: Beastman Magic

From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_...>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 17:31:38 +0000

Phillippe Sigaud:

>I'd like to write some adventure taking place in Beast Valley, for a group of
>beastmen. So I'm going back to basics, wondering about their society and more
>particularly, their magic.
>
>I suppose they are animist ?

Yes:

"They are animists, whose tradition focuses on a wide range of nature spirits subject to Arachne Solara (although the Spider is herself unreachable)."

               Anaxial's Roster p.137 (or p.127 in the French edition)

>I'm planning to give characters a sort of Ancestor/Practice for each race
>(either centaur, minotaur, fox-women, satyr, ...) and associated spirits (Musky
>Smell, Shiny Horns, Jump Far and High, Piercing Shriek, etc.), but maybe someone
>already wrote something about this ?

Not exactly what you're looking for, but the upcoming Hero Bands book includes a write-up of a mixed human-beastman group of magicians (complete with unique, local, Practice keyword) based in Beast Valley. I tried to the whole Beast Man thing, with a write-up of the Wild Temple itself as a hero band, but it would have been just too damn big to fit in the book and still do it justice :-(

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic