Re: Are Gloranthans Human?

From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_...>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 19:01:45 +0000

>I reckon Yet Another Uber Thread.

IEEEEEEEEEE!!! Flee! Flee!

>The thread is: do Gloranthans (human
>Gloranthans)reason and act and live basically like RW
>humans (with a wide range of emotional and
>psychological behaviors, as in the RW, but also with a
>basic mortal mold that limits their performance),

Yes. It would, IMO, be both difficult and relatively uninteresting to roleplay them if this were not the case.

>or are they alien beings that just incidentally are
>called humans

They haven't evolved from early hominids like we have, so technically they aren't the same. I am of the opinion that these differences cannot in practice be observed,
however, and therefore don't matter - especially from the gaming POV which is the province of this List...

>(as in most RPGs) but that can (due to
>the nature of Glorantha) and usually will become gods,
>demons, monsters, uz,

They can do any of these things, yes, although I don't think its fair to say that they 'usually do'. Usually they stay on the farm/hunting ground/impala/whatever of their
birth and never do too much that's exciting if they can get away with it. Of course, player characters aren't generally 'usual'. Even mine :-)

>killers and generally display an
>extreme sensibility which finds no equal in the real
>world ???

I'm not so sure about this, since there are some pretty monomaniacal people in the real world.

>If the first issue is true, then:
>Even Red Emperors get to deal with everyday
>activities;

To some extent, yes, although the Red Emperor isn't fully human (or even, I believe, mostly human) so he may not be a great example.

>divine power is merely a supernatural font of energy

I am unconvinced that 'merely' is an appropriate adjective here...

>but it doesn't change human nature that much;

I don't think it can change fundamental human nature without actually stopping you from being human (which, for instance, the KL initiation rites can do).

>devotion to a deity is a rather superficial choice

Ooh, no, no, no. I think identifying yourself with a god is far from superficial, even if it doesn't stop you actually being human. I also don't think it really changes
your personality all that much, except in so far as the experiences that result from it will change you - as they would any human. If you're a peace-loving type with
a fondness for kittens and pink lace you probably aren't going to be drawn to Humakt. Your personality already matches that of the deity to some extent when they call you, and I don't think that even Discipleship requires a level of commitment and extremism that extraordinary real world humans can't exhibit if they've got a good enough reason.

>("nature always wins") so even Humakti women are
>(basically) mums

No, I don't think so, because I don't think all real world women are basically mums. Most are, perhaps, but most Heortling women aren't Humakti.

>and Vingan tomboys can become
>princesses as in Shaw's "My Fair Lady".

Well, yes, they probably can if they want to. Might well involve them changing cults, though...

>If the second issue is true, then:
>Harrek, Argrath, Jar-eel are not exceptional
>Gloranthans but merely the end of a continuum.

They're the end of a continuum *and* extraordinary Gloranthans, IMO.

>Most of the heroes (player character) will and should
>become superheroes-demigods if they survive all the
>hazards;

Player characters aren't typical people, though, more or less by definition. Obviously, I wouldn't agree that they should automatically become demigods if they survive long enough, because (as I've said elsewhere recently) I think the objective for a player character should be whatever is most fun for the players, and that might not happen to include demigodhood.

>and (basically) the Hero Wars rules are intended to
>drive (hero point after hero point) everybody from TN
>17 to TN 10W10, provided the necessary time and
>dedication.

They certainly do do that, though whether its the intent to create PCs whose best ability is on a par with Orlanth's best ability (as opposed to that merely being an option that's available) is a moot point, I think.

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic