Re: Re: Are Gloranthans Human?

From: Graham Robinson <graham_at_...>
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2002 09:50:55 +0000

>Although Gloranthans are modelled after humans in a physical sense I
>cant imagine they are comparable on a mnetal level. Primarily
>because they KNOW the Gods EXIST!

Do they? Today's little thought experiment...

Imagine that all of our current technology - cars, guns, television, computers, everything - was developed by a religious organisation. Doesn't matter which - choose your favourite, if you like. This church presents this technology not as the result of science, but as miracles performed by the appropriate god(s). To what extent does this differ from what Gloranthans can see? Sure, they can see things happening that are (to us) miracles. Sure, they can go on a magical journey and talk to beings that claim to be gods. But does this prove these gods are real? Or is this a confidence trick, perpetuated by powerful magicians, as the Malkioni believe?

Another thought - I know plenty of people who KNOW that god/spirits/whatever exist. I know some people who know they have seen or communicated with supernatural beings. There are other explanations, but to faithful it is less a matter of belief, and more what they know in their hearts.

In short, I don't believe that Gloranthans are that different on a mental level. Magic is provably true, but in our world technology is provably true. Neither PROVES that there is a god providing that power. To my mind, magic works therefore gods exist is too simplistic, and blocks lots of fun storylines about fake cults, snake oil salesmen and crisis of faith.

Cheers,
Graham

--
Graham Robinson