Re: Re: Blackhorse numbers - clarification

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 13:28:40 +0200 (EET)

On Tue, 31 Dec 2002, Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...> wrote:

> Hi Mikko:
>
> > I definitely didn't mean to raise the hackles of you all,
>
> And hey your Glorantha may vary so you should do what you want. If
> you want the BHT to be a feudal nobility ruling over a serf class -
> makeit so. If you want to make them less heavy cavalry, make it so.
> However, I was under the impression you were inviting comments on the
> reasoning you were using, so I wanted to make you aware of some of
> the problems with the couched lance needs stirrups theory etc. You
> should have your own Black Horse Troop just the way you want them.
> YGMV.
Excellent articles, as I said. I'm not afraid of comments and critique. I was just surprised of how seriously people defend the notion of 3500 strong demon cavalry squad (don't the demons eat meat even!) sitting nicely in the corner of Dragon Pass.

Possibly once summoned (well, birthed apparently) the demons don't age, but most if not all of Ehilrists men propably are mortal. I can see how the feodal structure would keep him with a ready and trained body of knights and cavalry (in the numbers I suggested), but why and how would Ehilrist train thousands of knights every few decades and how does he keep them with him.

I know the man is rich, but imagine the drain if every demonhorse eats as much meat as a tiger or more (they are bigger).

And yes, I bet they do have long spears and so forth. I'm just a big fan of the Carmanian knights being persian style Cataphracts, and that doesn't mix with the other knights being of a style common over 1500 years later.

More a question of the evolution of tactics than what's possible and what's not, I think.

> That said there are some interesting aspects to the discussion you
> raised (I found Martin's post on the canonicity of stirrups useful
> for example).

Sort of, yes. But I'd think stirrups would come from Pent, if they have been invented already.

        -Adept