Re: Blackhorse numbers

From: Julian Lord <jlord_at_...>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 13:27:02 +0100

Graham :

> >I like Glorantha as an ancient world. Bronze age, or early iron age.
> >
> >No stirrups for anybody, that is.
>
> Don't agree I'm afraid.

Neither do I, but ...

> The various nomads can't function properly
> without stirrups - the Horse nomads use bows on the gallop,

Bows can be used on the gallop without stirrups.

> and some
> Praxians use lance charges, for instance.

But not necessarily as RW medieval knights did : early horseback spear-fighting techniques did not involve setting the weapon for a charge and gaining the horse's strength and weight for augmentation purposes, but using the weapon more like a m�l�e weapon and gaining the horse's speed and maneuverability, for which stirrups were not required.

Julian Lord