Re: A Hero Band of Humakti, seeking healing

From: ttrotsky2 <TTrotsky_at_...> <TTrotsky_at_...>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 17:17:17 -0000

> "Common magic"? Is this something you have gleamed from privileged
> sources belonging to the higher levels of the GTA?

Not at all; this isn't a secret (and AFAIK, Jane isn't a high level member of the GTA anyway) although there's been no real reason to advertise it a lot, either. Common Magic is the sort of low level magic that lay members have, so it'll affect low-level NPCs more than it will PCs, and you shouldn't have to change too much.

> If it is, I can only sigh and wonder when Issaries is going to bother
> about continuity...

Common Magic maintains continuity with RQ, where even lay members had at least some reasonable spells. But if you don't like it, don't keep it - its unlikely to make a big difference to the published material, since that focuses mainly on the heroic types that don't have Common Magic anyway.

> Why should I buy a new set of rules *again*?

If you're happy with the existing rules, no reason at all, really. Most people found HW 1st ed. rather confusing and unsatisfactory, hence the re-tuning, but if you liked it, you're already fine. And it has been three years - not an excessively short period between editions compared with other games, IMO.

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic