Re: Blackhorse numbers

From: Andrew Barton <AndrewBarton_at_...>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 15:04:20 -0500

Ian Cooper questioned the conventional view of the importance of stirrups.

> Don't forget that a lot of experimental archeaology suggests that the
> shape of the four-horned Roman saddle made for an effective fighting
> platform without stirrups.

I have some other evidence against it. Some time ago I discussed this with a wargamer who also happened to be a member of the (British) Household Cavalry. They have woolly horse blankets on their horses, and wear leather boots with the inside of the legs specially roughened. This gives them, he said, all the grip they want even when they have wrestling matches on horseback. Although they have stirrups they only bother putting their feet in them when under they eyes of their NCOs.

Many depictions of ancient cavalry show them with fleeces over the backs of their horses, which suggest to me that this technique was widely used.

Andrew